The Grace Place is a forum that shares the Gospel of Jesus Christ. If you are not saved but would like to know more, please contact one of the moderators for assistance.

AWTJ BOOKS IS A PLACE WHERE INDIE AUTHORS CAN GATHER TO DISCUSS, ADVERTISE, AND PROMOTE THEIR WORK FOR FREE. EVEN IF YOU HAVEN'T WRITTEN A BOOK, YOU ARE FREE TO JOIN TOO. FEEL FREE TO DISCUSS AN AUTHOR'S WORK, OR GIVE A REVIEW! WE DO NOT ALLOW EXPLICIT CONTENT OR WITCHCRAFT BOOKS.

You are not connected. Please login or register

All About Paul

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1default All About Paul on Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:47 pm

Guest

avatar
Guest
Greetings, I am trying find out, was apostle Paul a happy man, or not?

I believe that he was happy in Christ and longed to be with him, which to me Paul was not happy in life but giving everything to Christ.

Any scripture to support this either way would be helpful. Thanks.

Love
Bob

2default Re: All About Paul on Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:51 pm

Guest

avatar
Guest
Bob wrote:Greetings, I am trying find out, was apostle Paul a happy man, or not?

I believe that he was happy in Christ and longed to be with him, which to me Paul was not happy in life but giving everything to Christ.

Any scripture to support this either way would be helpful. Thanks.

Love
Bob
Well he was the one who always said to rejoice.... example...

Phi 3:1 Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you, to me indeed [is] not grievous, but for you [it is] safe.

2Co 4:8 [We are] troubled on every side, yet not distressed; [we are] perplexed, but not in despair; 2Co 4:9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; 2Co 4:10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.

3default Re: All About Paul on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:39 am

Guest

avatar
Guest
fervent wrote:
Bob wrote:Greetings, I am trying find out, was apostle Paul a happy man, or not?

I believe that he was happy in Christ and longed to be with him, which to me Paul was not happy in life but giving everything to Christ.

Any scripture to support this either way would be helpful. Thanks.

Love
Bob
Well he was the one who always said to rejoice.... example...

Phi 3:1 Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you, to me indeed [is] not grievous, but for you [it is] safe.

2Co 4:8 [We are] troubled on every side, yet not distressed; [we are] perplexed, but not in despair; 2Co 4:9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; 2Co 4:10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.

I think Paul was happy

If someone asked me "Are you happy?" my absolute honest answer is "no, I am not"

See, if Paul was unhappy then I'd be in sync with Paul because I'm not happy. But being that I believe Paul was happy, I am out of sync with Paul, and I think I know why, because I am weak.

If God made me stronger, like he had made Paul, I be able to endure, like Paul. But I think I am weak and so it seems my testing is lighter for it. I am in a sense happy for it, but in honesty I would still answer the question about being happy as not happy, because I don't feel it.

When pain comes, I cringe. I cannot stand to face a personal crisis, financial or otherwise. I get scared or fearful, but the Lord does comfort me. He protects me.

I believe, of course, the Lord gives only what I can handle and no more (or no less). But, what I handle comes nowhere near what Paul had carried, and I believe it is because I am weak, God did not make me as strong so I suffer less, but I am not happy No

Please share with me, anyone, are you happy?

I am just going with the flow on this, believing that Jesus is in control

4default Re: All About Paul on Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:55 am

Guest

avatar
Guest
Bob wrote:
fervent wrote:
Bob wrote:Greetings, I am trying find out, was apostle Paul a happy man, or not?

I believe that he was happy in Christ and longed to be with him, which to me Paul was not happy in life but giving everything to Christ.

Any scripture to support this either way would be helpful. Thanks.

Love
Bob
Well he was the one who always said to rejoice.... example...

Phi 3:1 Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you, to me indeed [is] not grievous, but for you [it is] safe.

2Co 4:8 [We are] troubled on every side, yet not distressed; [we are] perplexed, but not in despair; 2Co 4:9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; 2Co 4:10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.

I think Paul was happy

If someone asked me "Are you happy?" my absolute honest answer is "no, I am not"

See, if Paul was unhappy then I'd be in sync with Paul because I'm not happy. But being that I believe Paul was happy, I am out of sync with Paul, and I think I know why, because I am weak.

If God made me stronger, like he had made Paul, I be able to endure, like Paul. But I think I am weak and so it seems my testing is lighter for it. I am in a sense happy for it, but in honesty I would still answer the question about being happy as not happy, because I don't feel it.

When pain comes, I cringe. I cannot stand to face a personal crisis, financial or otherwise. I get scared or fearful, but the Lord does comfort me. He protects me.

I believe, of course, the Lord gives only what I can handle and no more (or no less). But, what I handle comes nowhere near what Paul had carried, and I believe it is because I am weak, God did not make me as strong so I suffer less, but I am not happy No

Please share with me, anyone, are you happy?

I am just going with the flow on this, believing that Jesus is in control
I am trying to remember how this was put to me at a time...there is a difference between joy and happiness....happiness depends upon outward circumstances...joy is a result of the inner working of the Holy Spirit and it has nothing to do with happiness...but we cross over in our minds to relate one to the other...we must look to Paul and others in the NT who were in dire circumstances and yet had joy...I think just now of this time...

Act 16:24 Who, having received such a charge, thrust them into the inner prison, and made their feet fast in the stocks. Act 16:25 And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.

I must say I am not so convinced of my joy as to not allow the unhappiness to creep in "unawares." I too, am "reading your mail" as you read mine...How far I am from truly saying and meaning this...Phi 3:10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; Phi 3:11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

I am in need of a resurrection...for my estate in life is causing me to fall weakly and limply to my knees in a bereavement of the non conformity of my outward circumstances to my "I wants."

2Co 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us. 2Co 4:8 [We are] troubled on every side, yet not distressed; [we are] perplexed, but not in despair; 2Co 4:9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;2Co 4:10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.

I would say we are being introduced to the excision of the bone and marrow from the Spirit life within as the word says,Heb 4:12 For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

I am being convicted of how weak and material oriented I truly am...for the fact of the Christian walk is a life of power lived amidst trial and distress with the sure hope of a deliverance...not "from" trial but "througfh" trial...and that is the "unfortunate" order of things...so we sojourn in a land of sorrow and believe somehow we are indeed dead...

Prayer...

Lord, I pray that you kindle a response within us to know the rightly divided truth of your will for us and to set our jaws to the task of walking in the solidarity of the Spirit Who leads us and I pray that we are enabled to know and to believe the fulness of trhe promises of God in the land of the living, for we know of a certainty that we have been in prison and are in need of having the jailor become dumfounded at our release from that prison without him having allowed it...that we may be free to learn and to grow in the elysian fields into which you are leading us...as you have recorded in Psalms 23...Psa 23:1 <A Psalm of David.> The LORD [is] my shepherd; I shall not want. Psa 23:2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. Psa 23:3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Psa 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou [art] with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psa 23:5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Psa 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

IJN amen....

5default Re: All About Paul on Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:31 am

Pamela

avatar
Admin
Admin
I always say, "happiness is a state of mind," while "joy is something that comes along when that happiness is increased."

Whether Paul was a happy man, I don't know..One day we can ask him...I do believe he had joy, joy of the LORD in him...

How could he not?


_________________
I am nothing without Him. For He is my Savior and my light.
He brings me to a land of promise and flourishes my generations. He keeps me from harm and wakes my sleeping eyes.
For more information on A Walk Toward Jesus go to www.awtj.org
http://awtj.webs.com

6default Re: All About Paul on Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:59 am

Guest

avatar
Guest
Pamela wrote:I always say, "happiness is a state of mind," while "joy is something that comes along when that happiness is increased."

Whether Paul was a happy man, I don't know..One day we can ask him...I do believe he had joy, joy of the LORD in him...

How could he not?
This is that "crossover" of which I made mention...

"happiness depends upon outward circumstances...joy is a result of the inner working of the Holy Spirit and it has nothing to do with happiness...but we cross over in our minds to relate one to the other..."

But what creates happiness? For me it is creature comforts without measure and time and money to burn...now I am not in that state and have NEVER had both time nor money in any abundance concurentlly...so on this scale my happines follows an indistinct pathway...But in that I have the ability to step on the one and then the other with relative frequency, I find the fine line of happiness is a balancing act which is countered by that joy unspeakable which comes through the knowledge of peace with God and eternal reward...

7default Re: All About Paul on Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:50 pm

Pamela

avatar
Admin
Admin
Okay, for me happiness is....

My husband will tell anyone I could have a blast with a rock and a bucket. I am easy to please, uncomplicated and easy to get a long with, (unless I am mad. Smile...)

Happiness for me is when everyone around me has what they need...

Then I am happy...


_________________
I am nothing without Him. For He is my Savior and my light.
He brings me to a land of promise and flourishes my generations. He keeps me from harm and wakes my sleeping eyes.
For more information on A Walk Toward Jesus go to www.awtj.org
http://awtj.webs.com

8default Re: All About Paul on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:47 pm

Guest

avatar
Guest
Oh the Lord is a tender Lord unto his children, and you are his child dear Fervent. I believe that.

I heard happiness is keeping ones expectations low then when something good happens it exceeds that person's expectation. That would fit you to a tee Pamela, having only a rock and a bucket. :P

But, I wonder is being happy tied with strife in this life? The kind of strife that would be for Christ's purpose, the one that hones a finer faith in the believer. Is it like a thrust of steel in hot coals, follow by a hammer strike then a quenching in cool water? Crisis, relief, crisis, relief...

I'd think it be for the strong steel, but for the weak I wonder. What is the treatment for the weaker steel or a softer metal. Are all Christians tempered the same?

I think not.

I've often said to the Lord that I am weak and soft, but that is what gold is, and to treat gold as if it were steel would wear it away to nothing.

What I am wondering does my state of unhappiness equates to my weakness, and does being happy equates to being very strong, enduring blow upon blow and still coming back to the Lord in delight?

Maybe that is why you had suffer so much physical pain, Pamela, that you are happy means to endure suffering, like Paul.

Maybe that is why I have not suffered trial upon trial because I am not happy.

And Larry I sense you are not happy. Would you say this is weakness or that it is not? I'd like to know because it would help me understand what is going on, what Paul might have gone through.

But, there is nothing to feel bad about being weak, I confess this to the Lord all the time.

...any scripture to support this would be helpful too

9default Re: All About Paul on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:49 pm

Pamela

avatar
Admin
Admin
HB I am going to ponder on this... I will reply tomorrow as I am off to sleep...

Though I do enjoy these conversations...


_________________
I am nothing without Him. For He is my Savior and my light.
He brings me to a land of promise and flourishes my generations. He keeps me from harm and wakes my sleeping eyes.
For more information on A Walk Toward Jesus go to www.awtj.org
http://awtj.webs.com

10default Re: All About Paul on Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:19 am

Guest

avatar
Guest

Ok, I don't know what is happening but I can't get rid of the block quotes on this post.

I think that Paul understood the grace and forgiveness of the LORD...and in this he was happy and had great joy.


Acts 26: 1 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Thou art permitted to speak for thyself. Then Paul stretched forth the hand, and answered for himself: 2 I think myself happy, king Agrippa, because I shall answer for myself this day before thee touching all the things whereof I am accused of the Jews: 3 Especially because I know thee to be expert in all customs and questions which are among the Jews: wherefore I beseech thee to hear me patiently.

11default Re: All About Paul on Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:14 am

Guest

avatar
Guest
Pamela wrote:Okay, for me happiness is....

My husband will tell anyone I could have a blast with a rock and a bucket. I am easy to please, uncomplicated and easy to get a long with, (unless I am mad. Smile...)

Happiness for me is when everyone around me has what they need...

Then I am happy...
This sounds like a servants heart...but I wonder if you are understating things...I am sure you get mad at more than a run in your pantyhose... :P I am shallow...I like the above with the caveat I am on that short list....

12default Re: All About Paul on Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:17 am

Guest

avatar
Guest
Bob wrote:Oh the Lord is a tender Lord unto his children, and you are his child dear Fervent. I believe that.

I heard happiness is keeping ones expectations low then when something good happens it exceeds that person's expectation. That would fit you to a tee Pamela, having only a rock and a bucket. :P

But, I wonder is being happy tied with strife in this life? The kind of strife that would be for Christ's purpose, the one that hones a finer faith in the believer. Is it like a thrust of steel in hot coals, follow by a hammer strike then a quenching in cool water? Crisis, relief, crisis, relief...

I'd think it be for the strong steel, but for the weak I wonder. What is the treatment for the weaker steel or a softer metal. Are all Christians tempered the same?

I think not.

I've often said to the Lord that I am weak and soft, but that is what gold is, and to treat gold as if it were steel would wear it away to nothing.

What I am wondering does my state of unhappiness equates to my weakness, and does being happy equates to being very strong, enduring blow upon blow and still coming back to the Lord in delight?

Maybe that is why you had suffer so much physical pain, Pamela, that you are happy means to endure suffering, like Paul.

Maybe that is why I have not suffered trial upon trial because I am not happy.

And Larry I sense you are not happy. Would you say this is weakness or that it is not? I'd like to know because it would help me understand what is going on, what Paul might have gone through.

But, there is nothing to feel bad about being weak, I confess this to the Lord all the time.

...any scripture to support this would be helpful too
I look at all the biblical characters and try to assess how it was for them in times of doubt and seeming endless same old same old...I run hot and cold...happy today...angry tomorrow...confused the next day... depressed yet another...it is according to my daily supply of emotional and physical ability to accept the reality of my walk which is far below the bell curve on my expectations, both in service and in discipleship and promotion of the same...along with the unending emptiness of a calling that has not been met...Rom 11:29 For the gifts and calling of God [are] without repentance. I am a "victim" of having been brought into the Kingdom in the power of the Holy Ghost and then told Jer 33:3 Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not. I still don't know those great and mighty things...I walk around in apparent disillusionment...caused by the unreasonable expectations of man...

13default Re: All About Paul on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:47 am

Pamela

avatar
Admin
Admin
fervent wrote:
Pamela wrote:Okay, for me happiness is....

My husband will tell anyone I could have a blast with a rock and a bucket. I am easy to please, uncomplicated and easy to get a long with, (unless I am mad. Smile...)

Happiness for me is when everyone around me has what they need...

Then I am happy...
This sounds like a servants heart...but I wonder if you are understating things...I am sure you get mad at more than a run in your pantyhose... :P I am shallow...I like the above with the caveat I am on that short list....
Yes, I am understanding...I think it has to do with upbringing..We were always helping others before our selves. I can live without and I can live with. I perfer to live with less than more. To have more is complicated and to live with less is peaceful...
Sure things upset the balance of things now and then....I guess you would have to live with us to know that our household is more silly and playful than mad and angry...So anger around our home is a rare thing...I used to be an angry person before I came to really know Christ....After my back injury I learned a lot...


_________________
I am nothing without Him. For He is my Savior and my light.
He brings me to a land of promise and flourishes my generations. He keeps me from harm and wakes my sleeping eyes.
For more information on A Walk Toward Jesus go to www.awtj.org
http://awtj.webs.com

14default Re: All About Paul on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:50 am

Guest

avatar
Guest
Pamela wrote:
fervent wrote:
Pamela wrote:Okay, for me happiness is....

My husband will tell anyone I could have a blast with a rock and a bucket. I am easy to please, uncomplicated and easy to get a long with, (unless I am mad. Smile...)

Happiness for me is when everyone around me has what they need...

Then I am happy...
This sounds like a servants heart...but I wonder if you are understating things...I am sure you get mad at more than a run in your pantyhose... :P I am shallow...I like the above with the caveat I am on that short list....
Yes, I am understanding...I think it has to do with upbringing..We were always helping others before our selves. I can live without and I can live with. I perfer to live with less than more. To have more is complicated and to live with less is peaceful...Sure things upset the balance of things now and then....I guess you would have to live with us to know that our household is more silly and playful than mad and angry...So anger around our home is a rare thing...I used to be an angry person before I came to really know Christ....After my back injury I learned a lot...

Yes, things do complicate our structured existence...I have heard Gloria Copeland talk about their stuff and having to keep it up when the old guy in the cottage with nothing but the essentials sits in the sun in his rocker and enjoys the sun daily...I have never had any of the typical men's toys, I have been forced to "possess them with my eyes." But neither do I have to insure them, buy gas for them, store them or wash them...or fix them...an inboard/outboard motor boat sounds like fun careening down lake Okanagan at sixty mph...but the wind swept hair effect is lost to me in the practical reality of knowing I do not have to clean the barnacles off the side nor stain the deck nor pay the mooring fees...I am just trying to make myself feel better...

lol!

15default Re: All About Paul on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:47 pm

Guest

avatar
Guest
Okay, here. The classic verse 2 Corinthians 12:7-9, the one about Paul's thorn in his flesh.

I think, given he has this thorn embedded in his flesh he suffers pain and is made unhappy, so the Lord says to him his strength is made perfect in Paul's weakness.

weakness equates to unhappy.

But Paul becomes happy to bear his infirmities for God's purpose

Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

strength equates to happy, and because he becomes happy he endures more.

Does anyone else see the pattern? If so, please share how it has been in your life.

The good news is I think this pattern or cycle levels out by becoming a finely honed faith in Christ.

Amazing.

16default Re: All About Paul on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:50 pm

Pamela

avatar
Admin
Admin
I have been surrounded by people who have more, and I see their attitudes of "I am going to out do you!" That is just not for me....

To me, it's just not worth it because you get lost in the "stuff." The Lord says that a rich man depends on his wealth, and that a poor man depends on the LORD. I am paraphasing the text and writing it the way I understand it...

The Lord does bless with stuff, but I see that stuff as belonging to HIM and to be used for HIM and HIS purpose...


_________________
I am nothing without Him. For He is my Savior and my light.
He brings me to a land of promise and flourishes my generations. He keeps me from harm and wakes my sleeping eyes.
For more information on A Walk Toward Jesus go to www.awtj.org
http://awtj.webs.com

17default Re: All About Paul on Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:21 pm

Guest

avatar
Guest
Pamela wrote:I have been surrounded by people who have more, and I see their attitudes of "I am going to out do you!" That is just not for me....

To me, it's just not worth it because you get lost in the "stuff." The Lord says that a rich man depends on his wealth, and that a poor man depends on the LORD. I am paraphasing the text and writing it the way I understand it...

The Lord does bless with stuff, but I see that stuff as belonging to HIM and to be used for HIM and HIS purpose...

This pretty much says it all...

Mat 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. I am a proponent of the understanding that it does not glorify God that we be poverty stricken, yet wisdom says have enough to meet the need and be satisfied...

18default Re: All About Paul on Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:31 pm

Pamela

avatar
Admin
Admin
I can't recall it right now, but I seen this yesterday...

Feed a rich man and become poor...
Feed a poor man and become rich....

That stuck a huge cord with me....


_________________
I am nothing without Him. For He is my Savior and my light.
He brings me to a land of promise and flourishes my generations. He keeps me from harm and wakes my sleeping eyes.
For more information on A Walk Toward Jesus go to www.awtj.org
http://awtj.webs.com

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum