The Grace Place is a forum that shares the Gospel of Jesus Christ. If you are not saved but would like to know more, please contact one of the moderators for assistance.

AWTJ BOOKS IS A PLACE WHERE INDIE AUTHORS CAN GATHER TO DISCUSS, ADVERTISE, AND PROMOTE THEIR WORK FOR FREE. EVEN IF YOU HAVEN'T WRITTEN A BOOK, YOU ARE FREE TO JOIN TOO. FEEL FREE TO DISCUSS AN AUTHOR'S WORK, OR GIVE A REVIEW! WE DO NOT ALLOW EXPLICIT CONTENT OR WITCHCRAFT BOOKS.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What is a cockatrice?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1default What is a cockatrice? on Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:55 pm

Isaiah 14:29 Rejoice not thou, whole Palestina, because the rod of him that smote thee is broken: for out of the serpent's root shall come forth a cockatrice, and his fruit shall be a fiery flying serpent. 30 And the firstborn of the poor shall feed, and the needy shall lie down in safety: and I will kill thy root with famine, and he shall slay thy remnant. 31 Howl, O gate; cry, O city; thou, whole Palestina, art dissolved: for there shall come from the north a smoke, and none shall be alone in his appointed times. 32 What shall one then answer the messengers of the nation? That the LORD hath founded Zion, and the poor of his people shall trust in it.

What is a cockatrice? According to the Roman's it was a god to be worshiped...You can find images of it in NY City Park, and within many Coat of Arms...A form of lizzard and bird...others compare it to a winged serpant...In this scripture, it struck me as a description of the anti-christ. notice that it comes out of Palestina...

2default Re: What is a cockatrice? on Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:03 pm

According to Eastman's Bible Dictionary:

Cockatrice The mediaeval name (a corruption of of "crocodile") of a fabulous serpent supposed to be produced from a cock's egg. It is generally supposed to denote the cerastes, or "horned viper," a very poisonous serpent about a foot long. Others think it to be the yellow viper (Daboia xanthina), one of the most dangerous vipers, from its size and its nocturnal habits (Isa 11:8; Isa 14:29; Isa 59:5; Jer 8:17; in all which the Revised Version renders the Hebrew tziphoni by "basilisk"). In Pro 23:32 the Hebrew tzeph'a is rendered both in the Authorized Version and the Revised Version by "adder;" margin of Revised Version "basilisk," and of Authorized Version "cockatrice."

3default Re: What is a cockatrice? on Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:06 pm

Pamela

Admin
Admin
That's very interesting....

http://awtj.webs.com

4default Re: What is a cockatrice? on Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:10 pm

The Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon

Original Word

(pc

~ from an unused root meaning to extrude

Transliterated Word Phonetic Spelling
Tsepha` tseh'-fah or tsiph`oniy tsif-o-nee'

Parts of Speech

Noun Masculine

Definition: poisonous serpent
a viper snake or adder

Copyright Statement
The Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon is Brown, Driver, Briggs, Gesenius Lexicon; this is keyed to the "Theological Word Book of the Old Testament." These files are considered public domain.

Ok, so it is the masculine meaning of serpent, coming from the original Hebrew...extrude is the unused root form...hummm

5default Re: What is a cockatrice? on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:47 pm

This is an artistic rendition of a Cockatrice...the image can be found on many coat of arms and also on many public buildings.

6default Re: What is a cockatrice? on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:58 pm

Oh, that looks like what came out of the egg. But in sworms.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum