The Grace Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Grace Place is a forum that shares the Gospel of Jesus Christ. If you are not saved but would like to know more, please contact one of the moderators for assistance.

AWTJ BOOKS IS A PLACE WHERE INDIE AUTHORS CAN GATHER TO DISCUSS, ADVERTISE, AND PROMOTE THEIR WORK FOR FREE. EVEN IF YOU HAVEN'T WRITTEN A BOOK, YOU ARE FREE TO JOIN TOO. FEEL FREE TO DISCUSS AN AUTHOR'S WORK, OR GIVE A REVIEW! WE DO NOT ALLOW EXPLICIT CONTENT OR WITCHCRAFT BOOKS.
Similar topics

You are not connected. Please login or register

Names in the Bible

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Names in the Bible Empty Names in the Bible Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:38 pm

Anonymous

Each name mentioned in the Bible has a specific meaning...here are a few to get an idea as to the meaning of the names...

Starting with Genesis:

Adam: man
Eve: life, living
Abel: a breath, vapor, or vanity
Cain: a possession; a spear
Seth: appointed; a substitute
Enoch: initiated; dedication; commencement—probably signifying a new manner of life
Jared: descent

2Names in the Bible Empty Re: Names in the Bible Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:25 am

Anonymous

Susan wrote:Each name mentioned in the Bible has a specific meaning...here are a few to get an idea as to the meaning of the names...

Starting with Genesis:

Adam: man
Eve: life, living
Abel: a breath, vapor, or vanity
Cain: a possession; a spear
Seth: appointed; a substitute
Enoch: initiated; dedication; commencement—probably signifying a new manner of life
Jared: descent

I would LOVE to have a full list of meanings of biblical names...

3Names in the Bible Empty Re: Names in the Bible Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:34 am

Anonymous

Fervent...I agree with you. The meaning of names is significant. Here is what I found on the internet. There are lists that tell about names of men, women, etc...found at this link:

http://christiananswers.net/dictionary/men.html

I am interested in what the names mean, when in context with the order of names given in the scriptures. I love you Kind of like this (taking the meaning of the names that I have already given and only using the meaning of the names...(I made one correction, Cain was born before Abel...)

man: life, living a possession; a spear appointed; a breath, vapor, or vanity a substitute
initiated; dedication; commencement—probably signifying a new manner of life descent

4Names in the Bible Empty Re: Names in the Bible Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:59 am

Anonymous

Irad: runner; wild ass; townsman
Mehujael: smitten by God
Methusael: champion of El; man of God
Lamechadah: (Unknown but suggested meanings of Lamech-man of prayer; powerful; youth; strong young man; conqueror; one who overthrows; destroyer; the strikerdown.)
Zillah: (Unknown)
Jabel: (Unknown)
Jubal: jubilee, music
Tubalcain: (Compound Name; Tubal- suggested :The name of a biblical man and a nation probably descended from him…Cain-a possession; a spear)
Naamah: (Naam-rooth of name means) pleasantness

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum